Tuesday, January 3, 2012

musicals

In the past few years, I've had a fantastic time being able to go to live performances of three great musicals. In 2009, I was able to go to NYC with my mom and we saw 'Phantom of the Opera'. This was my first live musical, and I loved it! I was in love with the whole performance, particularly the staging and the music. Some of my favorite songs in Phantom are 'The Phantom of the Opera', 'Think of Me' (as sung by Christine), and Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again'. Also very lovely is 'All I Ask of You'. In short, I pretty much love all the music! You can find out more about this musical at:

http://www.thephantomoftheopera.com/

In 2010, I finally was able to see live the first musical I ever loved: the Broadway classic, 'Annie'--off-Broadway. I saw a touring production in New Haven, CT. This musical features well-known songs such as 'Tomorrow' and 'Maybe', as well as 'Hard-Knock Life' and 'You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile'. This musical is in a bit of a different style than 'Phantom', with more of the robust, strutting, brassy music, whereas the music of 'Phantom' is more towards a rock feeling, and never has what might be thought of as a 'classic Broadway feel' in regard to the music. Annie may be thought of as a 'kids' musical', but truly, it's just a fun show.

http://www.anniethemusical.com/

The third musical I bring up is one I saw a touring production of just last year in Hartford, CT. This is the fairly recent musical, 'Wicked', which centers around the 'back story' of the Wicked Witch of the West, of Frank L. Baum's 'The Wizard of Oz'. While I am not crazy about 'Wizard of Oz', I love 'Wicked'. I can say in all honesty that you do not have to be a fan of 'Wizard' to like 'Wicked'! It helps to have an idea of what 'Wizard' is about, but 'Wicked' can stand on its own pretty well otherwise. The music of 'Wicked' is amazing, particularly 'Defying Gravity'. Others I enjoy are 'What Is This Feeling?', 'Popular', and 'For Good'. I urge you to check out the official website; last I knew they had some of the songs up from the original Broadway cast recording.

http://www.wickedthemusical.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment